Wednesday, 26 May 2010

Type & Grid (OUGD103)

In Lorenzo's type and grid sessions we were taught how to work out grids of existing layout and measure type to get us started. I worked with a free newspaper I picked up in Size? the shoe shop in Leeds:


The image proves how the way that the columns are situated on different pages of the paper, the grid ends up having columns the same size as the gutters. Otherwise there is too much of an irregularity to the layout.

Measuring type:


This image proves that by using the type measuring scale against the top of the ascenders in the text and the bottom of the descenders in the text, I can tell that the text is roughly 81pt in size. This is because it is nine 9pts in size. So 9 x 9 = 81pts.

I began to work with New Scientist magazine as a publication to choose a layout from and make a new layout for. Here is the measured point sizes on a page:


I worked out the grid for the magazine which happened to be a relatively simple 6 column grid:


With the layout worked out, I chose an article to work with and change into my own DPS version of it. I chose a fascinating article about hidden asteroids that could hit the Earth at any time:


I was dealing with an article of just over 600 words. I worked this out as each line had either 5, 6, or 7 words in it so as a rough guess I split the article into bulks of 10 lines as i knew there were roughly 60 words in them. There were about 10 bulks of 10 lines so this made about 600 words.

So I produced some thumbnail ideas to work with using the same New Scientist grid that I had worked out earlier. I produced 12 as they comfortable fit on the A2 sheet I was working on:


Working with my two favourite ideas I produced two half sized layouts for them to see how they worked blown up a bit:


A final full sized specification of my favourite layout which came from thumbnail 5:


So I started to work in InDesign to produce my layout. I produced the grid on InDesign to work on:


And worked alongside the final specification making slight changes to produce the final layout:


Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment