Wednesday, 19 May 2010

Leaflet Development (OUGD103)

Using the earlier map I whittled down on google maps to represent the locations of my chosen bars and pubs, I created a template to work with on the light box in order to manipulate the literal map to work with the visual quality of my designs:

The next step was to work on the lightbox gradually manipulating the design to fit the general roundedness of the sleeve design in order for the leaflet to be unified with the packaging:


Following on, I produced ideas for the top right box of the map which would work as the top square when the map is folded up (middle square thumbs) along with thumbs and a template to work with for the information side of the leaflet (bottom of sheet):


Here is the hand drawn map template used for the map on the leaflet:



By loosening the corners of the streets to make them appear more curvaceous, the form of the map fits in with the curvy nature of the pint sleeve design. The hand drawn quality helps add to the natural feel of the design.

Here is the chosen cover square segment for the leaflet when folded up:


This segment was chosen because the moulded type fills the square comfortably whilst maintaining clear legibility of the type. Other ideas were either not as legible or did not fill the square enough.

Here is the template for the reverse of the leaflet which will contain the information about the pubs and bars:


The template roughly follows the formation of the square segments that are to contain the information. The shape - again - is synonymous with the graphics of the sleeve design. In particular, the yellow element to the design in the pink swirls.

The next task was symbol ideas for what the pubs/bars can offer students. The different activities/things that pubs can offer that I decided to use are, pub games, sport on TV, gigs, pub quizzes, food and real ale. Here are the ideas:


The finalised symbols are the ones that I thought visually communicated the activity the best. I tried the symbols in pastel colours similar to the colours within the design but decided against this due to the fact that they would blend in too much with the design colours dampening the clarity of the communication of the symbols. Here are the pastel colours:


So instead I used colours of higher chromatic values that were all very different and easily distinguishable so that the clarity of communication was more easily readable:


So with the symbols sorted, the colours f the leaflet were the only thing left to sort out. Here are the combinations of colour I tried out:


The final colour combination is visually the most successful due to the fact that it works best with the outer glass sleeve and also because white type on the pink map and background is much more easily readable. However, when it came to printing, the street names on the map were barely visible at all and were completely unreadable. The text about the bars on the information side of the map was only just readable but not good enough. I used a font called 'Something' for the design. This looked okay on screen but clearly was not suitable for print:



This was noted in the crit on Monday the 17th of May. So instead I tried out Helvetica Neue Bold due to the thick stroke it possesses which I was hoping would increase readability by a long shot! Luckily it worked and the best thing is that it barely affected the visual quality of the design. If all else fails, revert to good old Helvetica! Here are the designs on screen and printed:


So with the leaflet finalised, the next task was the beer mat/layer, magnet/layer and pool chalk casing...

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment