Sunday, 22 November 2009

No News Is Good News - Message & Delivery (OUGD101)

The following has been copy and pasted from my PPD blog to explain the concept behind this project. It developed from the previous No News Is Good News - Message & Interpretation project.

WHAT?

The general notion I am working around is that the Labour Government contributed to the UK's economic crisis and have so far failed to get Britain out of recession so therefore people should vote Conservative in order for there to be a change of direction in getting Britain out of recession.

This whole 'vote Conservative' notion has come from the attack on Jacqui Smith in my last project coming across as putting a bad name on the Labour party. By suggesting the Labour party have committed some wrongdoing, it can suggest a Conservative bias to the poster I produced so this is how the whole 'vote Conservative' concept came about.

WHY?

There will be a General Election by the 3rd of June 2010 at the latest so it is coming up to a time where it is relevant to raise awareness of such issues relating to voting and persuading people to vote.

WHO?

I intend to target young, first time voters in the General Election aged 18 - 25 of both sexes.

HOW?

By persuading and informing people about the Conservative party as well as promoting them. This could be done with reference to topics which are familiar to young people. Crossing over with pop culture is an easy way to get young peoples attention. By putting less of a serious edge on politics it comes across as more relaxed an appealing to young people. Whilst engaging in this less serious tone of voice it will still be important to maintain the art of persuasion in the design itself.

In order to develop ideas for my mail shot envelope and contents, I began with a few rough idea sketches in order to quickly gain a direction to work in. Here they are:


From these ideas I went into Illustrator to begin designing and developing my envelope. The following ideas were developed as they go in order:

'Envelope Template'

'Idea 1'

'Idea 2'

'Idea 3'

'Idea 4 (Final Idea)'

I stuck with idea 4 for my final idea after development through crits and discussions which are recorded on my PPD blog.

Next I had to figure out what to put in the envelope. So after a mini crit with Amber, I decided to go with the idea of only having a sticker in the envelope providing that the message on it was clear and relevant to my point of communication and target audience. The notion of having a sticker already matched the young audience of first time voters as was noted in my first crit so that was a good start. Here were my ideas:

'Sticker Idea 1'

This sticker is based around the shape of the conservative party's current logo. It is supposed to highlight the party's slogan whilst maintaining the fact that it is Conservative. I feel this idea was poor and does not work well. Especially as the current. slogan is on the front of the envelope anyway!

'Sticker Idea 2'

I tried to stay with the shape of the Conservative logo here but the shape of the text diminishes the logos clarity. Nobody in the crit I had really understood the idea as they couldn't tell it was the Conservative logo. Plus I needed another phrase to work with other than the Conservative slogan.

'Sticker Idea 3 (Final Idea)'

This is the idea I went with. Here the sticker itself is the top design and the bottom design is the back of the sticker although it could've worked either way in my opinion. I think the phrase, 'Whoops! Gordon did a Brown on our economy' works well as it is humorous yet it also raises an important and potentially controversial opinion. The 'turd' shape of the sticker worked well in my opinion in the fact that it helps to emphasise the point.

All that was left was to make up a mailing list. So I composed a questionnaire to hand out in the studio to my peers to determine who were the first time undecided voters. The people who my mail shot is aimed at. This was the questionnaire I used:

____________________

A Short Questionnaire

I would be very grateful if the following questions could be answered to help me with my current Graphic Design brief. Cheers.

Name: Age:

Address (For the purposes of the brief. You will definitely not be sent anything.):

WILL YOU VOTE IN THE NEXT GENERAL ELECTION?

Yes/No/Haven’t Decided Yet

If YES or HAVEN’T DECIDED YET please continue:

WILL YOU BE A FIRST TIME VOTER IN THE GENERAL ELECTION IF YOU DECIDE TO VOTE?

Yes/No

If you answered YES then;

DO YOU KNOW WHICH PARTY YOU WILL VOTE FOR?

Yes/No

The questionnaire is now finished. When finished it would be great if you could drop this back to me in the studio and if I’m not about if you could just drop it in my pigeon hole that would be fantastic.

Cheers for your help. It goes much appreciated.

Pawel Adamek

_____________________

So from the way that people answered this questionnaire I was able to determine who went on my mailing list. The following is my mailing list:

So all that was left to do was to print 10 envelopes (although I ended up printing 12 just in case) with the relevant addresses on them and the stickers and to put everything together then post one to the Leeds College of Art to see if i makes it through the post. I took some photographs of my results:


And that's my project. All I need to do is hope the mail shot I sent through the post gets there.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment