Sunday, 27 September 2009

Summer Typography

Here is most of my Summer typography project:

I began with a couple of ideas made from matchsticks and golf tees to start off. I worked with my own name as it seemed the most logical thing to do when the project was about my self!















I soon began drawing out of frustration and came up with the following 30 typographical ideas. All of which are supposed to communicate certain aspects of my own character.


And so I simply chose my favourite idea which I thought communicated a good aspect of my character well. I went with the 1st column, 5th row down idea. The reason for this being that this font is highly based around type from the 60s. Having been told by people in the past that I have portrayed a laid back attitude to things (particularly when I worked for Lloyds TSB) I felt this was relevant due to that whole general vibe of the 60s. Also, I felt this crossed with my love of 60s music. So i experimented with some effect using print and some marbling:


Marbling was more difficult than anticipated. Although I gained some good effects through general printing on brushed out, highly diluted acrylic paint on the baking tray I was using. I warmed to the idea in column 2, row 3. Especially the calm blue colour which I felt helped communicate the mood I was trying to get across. Then I came out with the following:


Although I thought the letters made by scalpeling out the above letters would make an even better font with white innards so my result was this:


And of course the 'P' and 'A' are missing as they are my initials and they are up in the studio.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment